Mumbai Indians under Rohit Sharma is a formidable force winning five titles between 2013 and 2021. So, they have a proud record to maintain in the IPL 2022 too as they will be counted as the favorites. They have retained some core players and bought back Ishan Kishan too from the auction.
But they have also lost some players who were integral to their title runs in the past like Quinton de Kock, Hardik Pandya, Krunal Pandya, and Trent Boult. Can they stitch together another triumphant run in IPL 2022? We are looking at MI’s Best Playing 11, Strength, Weakness, and a quick prediction.
MI squad 2022
Rohit Sharma (Captain), Jasprit Bumrah, Suryakumar Yadav, Kieron Pollard, Ishan Kishan, Dewald Brevis, Basil Thampi, Murugan Ashwin, Jaydev Unadkat, Mayank Markande, N Tilak Varma, Sanjay Yadav, Jofra Archer, Daniel Sams, Tymal Mills, Tim David, Riley Meredith, Mohammad Arshad Khan, Anmolpreet Singh, Ramandeep Singh, Rahul Buddhi, Hrithik Shokeen, Arjun Tendulkar, Aryan Juyal, Fabian Allen.
- March 27: MI vs DC, 3.30pm at Brabourne Stadium
- April 2: MI vs RR, 3.30pm at DY Patil Stadium
- April 6: MI vs KKR, 7.30pm at MCA Stadium, Pune
- April 9: MI vs RCB, 7.30pm at MCA Stadium, Pune
- April 13: PBKS vs MI, 7.30pm at MCA Stadium, Pune
- April 16: Mumbai Indians vs LSG, 3.30pm at Brabourne – CCI
- April 21: CSK vs MI, 7.30pm at DY Patil Stadium
- April 24: MI vs LSG, 7.30pm at Wankhede Stadium
- April 30: RR vs MI, 7.30pm at DY Patil Stadium
- May 6: MI vs GT, 7.30pm at Brabourne – CCI
- May 9: MI vs KKR, 7.30pm at DY Patil Stadium
- May 12: CSK vs MI, 7.30pm at Wankhede Stadium
- May 17: MI vs SRH, 7.30pm at Wankhede Stadium
- May 21: MI vs DC, 7.30pm at Wankhede Stadium
Strength: In their line-up, they’ve got a few game-changers such as Ishan Kishan, Rohit Sharma, Jasprit Bumrah, and Suryakumar Yadav. The big guns will hope to fire on all cylinders at the start. As a result, Rohit Sharma will have the responsibility of leading MI’s batting attack as Hardik Pandya and Quinton de Kock will be unable to play for MI this season. Among the bowlers, Jasprit Bumrah is once again the dominant force. This time he will lead the attack. In addition, they’ll be counting on Tim David and Kieron Pollard to provide some relief for front-line bowlers.
Weakness: As for the MI, Quinton de Kock will miss his presence up front and Hardik Pandya on death overs.MI’s title runs had seen both of them shine. Their replacements, such as Anmolpreet Singh and N Tilak Verma, have less experience in the IPL, so the MI can only hope that they find their footing quickly. MI will hope Suryakumar Yadav can handle the season without further injury issues, as there are injury concerns with the middle-order batsman.
As Trent Boult will not be at his disposal and Jofra Archer will likely miss the season, the bowlers will rely a lot on Jasprit Bumrah. In addition to M Ashwin, they will be hoping he finds his form again this season to shore up their spin department since they do not have an option like Krunal Pandya for the IPL 2022.